Choc-Chip Clotted Cream Cupcakes
These choc-chip cupcakes are simply delicious! With their light and fluffy sponge and indulgent clotted cream icing – they are hit every time.
Makes approximately 20 cupcakes. Cooking time 30 mins.
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
125g chocolate chips
For the icing:
250g icing sugar
250g clotted cream
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees
2. Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix untill light and fluffy.
3. Now whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
4. Time for the flour. Mix this in until it’s super smooth. The longer you mix the batter, the more air you can get into it which will help to lighten the sponge.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases, filling to about 3/4s full.
7. Bake the cakes for approximately 15 minutes, keeping a close eye on them. To test whether they’re ready, stick a fork or skewer into the sponge – it should come out clean when ready.
8. Leave on a cooling rack whilst you prepare the icing.
1. Mix together the clotted cream and the icing sugar until a smooth creamy icing forms.
2. Add to a piping bag (or a cone of baking paper) with a thick-ish nozzle/hole. Once the cakes have cooled, squeeze on the clotted cream icing. Decorate with choc chips and crushed almonds.