Chocolate & Banana Quinoa Cakes
Quinoa is fantastic – I try to incorporate it in my diet as much as possible but I’ve always been skeptical about adding it to cakes. After all, surely it won’t give you that spongy texture you are so desperately dreaming about… I was right, it doesn’t. But the texture it does give is delicious. A hearty, almost oat-like mouthful which combined with banana and chocolate is a winning formula! There is no sugar or butter used in these and you would never guess – this definitely entitles you to go in for another one…and another.
Makes 12 cakes
1/2 cup Quinoa
1 cup water
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas
250g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
2. Bring the quinoa to the boil with the water, then simmer for 15 mins.
3. Whisk together the oil, honey, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and bananas.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. 5. Whisk the two bowls together until everything is combined. Now stir in the quinoa, followed by the chocolate pieces. Save several pieces of chocolate for the tops of the cakes.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cases, filling right to the top of the cases. Now place the remaining chocolate pieces on the tops.
7. Place in the oven for around 30 mins.