Fregola Con Arselle (Clams)
Fregola con Arselle is a Sardinian classic and reminds me of our summer vacation to Porto Rotondo on the North-East coast of Sardinia. I’ve simplified this recipe by using jarred clams but you can use fresh, shelled clams if preferred.
2 cloves of garlic
1 litre of fish stock
100ml extra virgin olive oil
250g Fregola Pasta (Most specialist food stores should sell this – I get mine in wholefoods.
A pinch of salt and pepper (to preferred taste)
1kg of clams
1 bunch parsley
1. Brown the half of the garlic in a deep frying pan.
2. Once the garlic has browned, add the clams to the pan with 100ml of fish stock. Leave to simmer.
3. Meanwhile, fry the other half of the garlic in a separate pan and sauté with the fresh parsley.
4. After 5 minutes add the passata and the fish stock and bring to the boil. Then leave to simmer.
5. Add the fregola to the passata and fish stock. Leave to cook for 14-17 minutes.
6. Add the clams to the fregola and mix well.