Check out our twist on this childhood classic…
450ml whole milk
300ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split with seeds scraped out
5 large egg yolks
125g caster sugar
1 loaf of white bread, 700g
Butter, for buttering the bread.
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
2. Make Jam Sandwiches (butter the bread and spread the jam). Cut the sandwiches into small 1/4 triangles.
3. Whisk together the sugar in a mixing bowl and eggs until light and fluffy. Set aside.
4. Gently heat the milk, cream and vanilla pod and bring to a simmer.
5. Pour the hot milk, cream & chocolate mixture over the eggs in the bowl. Mix together and then return the mixture to the pan. Stir continuously until thickened.
6. Arrange the sandwiches into a large oven dish. Pour over the custard. Leave to soak for an hour.
8. Put the pudding into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on it and remove when golden.
9. Serve, it’s great with vanilla ice cream!