Lemon & Raspberry Tart
Lemon Raspberry Tart Recipe: Although I don’t suggest you make this tart without the lemons, the secret is in fact the orange. Adding this to the filling helps break up the sourness given off by the combination of lemons and raspberries.
Pinch of salt
150g unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg (yolk only)
2 tbsp milk
5 eggs (5 yolks, 2 whites)
150g caster sugar
250ml double cream
A large handful of raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Prepare the pastry. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt. Add the butter and blend until you have find breadcrumbs. Now add the egg and water and continue mixing until the dough becomes one ball. Flatten the dough ball slightly and cover with cling film. Leave to cool in the fridge for at least 20 mins.
(If you have made the pastry in advance I would prepare the tart case before the filling as this will take some time to cook – move on to step 7 and then go back to step 3 once its in the oven)
3. Prepare the filling. Grate the zest of 3 lemons and put aside.
4. Juice the lemons and the orange and blend together with the eggs, sugar and zest.
5. Strain into a bowl and remove as much of the surface “froth” as you can. Now you can stir in the cream.
6. Blend the raspberries until you are left with a puree.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry until it’s just thicker than a £1 coin.
8. Place the pastry over your tart case and gently press into the shape of the case. Cover the pastry with baking paper and cover with baking beans (dry beans/lentils will do).
9. Place the tart case on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15mins.
10. Now remove the baking paper/beans and bake for a further 15 mins. The tart should be lightly golden in colour. If you have pastry hanging over the sides, trim this before adding the filling.
11. Pour in the lemon mixture, leaving only a very small gap between the filling and the top of the tart.
12. Now drop the raspberry puree into the lemon mixture. The most precise way to do this would be with a syringe however I simply used a tsp.
13. Bake for 30 mins. The tart should still have a slight wobble to it when its ready.