Nikujaga (Beef & Potato Stew)
One for a rainy day… “Nikujaga”, literally meaning Beef & Potato, is Japanese comfort food. The meat is mainly used for flavour with the potatoes being what this dish is all about. Serve with a simple bowl of steamed rice.
1 dashi sachet (Japanese stock), a regular stock will do as an alternative
1 large carrot
1 large potato
300g beef filet, sliced very thinly (speciality/asian supermarkets usually have this pre-sliced).
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
Curley parsley, for garnish
1. Bring the water to the boil with the dashi sachet. Leave over a low heat whilst you prepare the rest.
2. Finely dice the onion and cut the carrot into bite-sized chunks
3. Add the oil to another pan over a medium heat, then add the beef. Mix until the beef starts to brown.
4. Add the potato, onions and carrots and continue to mix, for about 3 mins
5. Add the stock to the pan, followed by the sake and sugar. Leave over a medium heat for 5 mins.
6. Now add the soy sauce and vinegar. Turn the heat down and leave covered for 20mins.
7. Serve in bowls, topped with a handful of parsley.