The orange top looks impressive and keeps this cake nice and moist. We love this cake!
80g caster sugar
2 tbsp water
200g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2tsp orange extract (orange oil/blossom water will substitute)
80g flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
100g instant polenta
200g ground almonds
200g dark chocolate chips
1. Grease and line your chosen cake tin, roughly 20cm in size, and preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grate the rind off 2 of the oranges and put aside. Now slice the oranges into discs. I like to cut around the pith is there is too much.
3. Prepare the caramel top. Add the sugar and water to a pan and combine so that all the sugar has been coated in the water. Now leave on a medium heat until you have a golden caramel. Take off the heat and mix in the butter.
4. Pour the caramel into your prepared tin and place your orange slices on top. Try and cover as much of the base as you can with the slices.
5. Whisk together the sugar and butter, followed by the eggs. Now mix in everything else leaving the chocolate chips until the end.
6. Transfer the mixture to your tin and cook for 45 minutes.
7. Remember to turn the cake upside down before serving!