Orange, Ricotta & Dark Choc Muffins
These muffins are worth the indulgence. The addition of ricotta keeps them nice and moist, then you have the fresh orange and dark chocolate – a perfect combination!
Makes 10 muffins
260g of self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
130g caster sugar
Zest of one orange
120g ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g dark chocolate (smash 150g into chips and save 50g for decoration)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a 10 cup muffin tray with muffin cases.
2. In mixing bowl rub the orange zest and sugar together with your fingers. This encourages the flavour out of the zest.
3. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add the ricotta cheese and beat until smooth.
5. Now beat in the egg, orange juice and vanilla extract.
6. It’s now time to add the dry ingredients to the mix. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
7. Stir in the chocolate chips.
8. Divide the batter evenly between the 10 muffin cases.
9. Bake for approximately 18 minutes, until the muffins look golden brown, and leave to cool whilst preparing the topping.
For the topping:
10. Break the remainder of the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl.
11. Place over a pan of boiling water and let the chocolate melt, stir occasionally.
12. Once melted, use a teaspoon to gently drizzle the chocolate over the top of the muffins