Fregola Recipe: Pea & Pancetta
Pea & Pancetta Fregola Recipe: I’m surprised Fregola isn’t used more often; it provides the same satisfaction you get from a hearty bowl of risotto whilst hitting that pasta craving at the same time. Cooking it with peas and pancetta is my absolute favourite combination.
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 bulb garlic, crushed
Pancetta, about 6 slices chopped into small squares
1/2 litre stock (chicken or vegetable)
500g peas (I’ve used frozen)
100g padano cheese, grated
Large handful flat leaf parsley, plus extra for garnish
1. Heat a large frying pan with the oil. Add shallots and cook until they begin to loosen.
2. Add the garlic and pancetta and continue to cook until the pancetta starts to crisp.
3. Mix in the fregola until it has all been coated with the oil.
4. Add enough stock to cover the fregola. Now turn the heat down and simmer for 10 mins. You will need to occasionally mix and add more stock when required.
5. Mix in the peas, cheese, and chopped parsley. Stir for up to 5 mins or until the peas are cooked through.
Enjoy this Fregola Recipe? Leave your comments and feedback below, we’d love to hear from you!