Pistachio, Almond & Lemon Cantucci Recipe
Pistachio, Almond & Lemon Cantucci Recipe: The biscuits of Prato, Italy, also known as “cantucci” are traditionally served at the end of a meal with a glass of Tuscan dessert wine. In my recipe I use pistachios and almonds, with a little lemon and vanilla bean. Cantucci are brilliant to serve at the end of a meal or dunked in tea & coffee!
Makes approximately 15-20 biscuits/cantucci
300g plain white flour
200g caster sugar
A pinch of salt
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 vanilla pod, seeds only
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place the flour, sugar, salt, nuts, zest, juice and vanilla pod seeds into a bowl and mix together. Add the eggs, and continue to mix until a dough forms. It should be soft, but not too sticky. If it gets a little too wet add some flour, and if dry you can add a very little milk.
3. Roll it into a log (about 5cm in diameter) and cover in cling film. Leave for 45 minutes.
4. Place the biscuit log onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and cook for 15-20 minutes until golden.
5. Take the log out of the oven and leave to cool on the side for about 10 minutes. The log does not have to be completely cooled before you proceed to the next step.
6. Slice the log into thin pieces about 0.75-1cm thick, with a sharp knife.
7. Lay the cantucci pieces onto the baking tray and bake at a slightly lower heat of 160 degress for 15 minutes until they are crisp and golden.
8. Take out of the oven and leave to cool. Serve.