Pistachio, Raspberry & White Chocolate Roll
A dreamy twist on a classic swiss roll – a vanilla cream of pistachios, raspberries and white chocolate laced inside the moist perfect roll of sponge cake. It looks great too.
For the sponge:
50g white chocolate, broken into pieces
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
125g self raising flour
For the filling/topping:
100g white chocolate
300ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
100g pistachios, crushed
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tin (around 23cm x 38cm) with greaseproof paper.
2. Make the sponge. Melt the chocolate (either in a bowl over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave) and leave aside to cool whilst preparing the rest.
3. Whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture becomes pale and frothy. Be patient as it could take up to 10 mins to achieve this. Once you get there, mix in the white chocolate and flour.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake for around 15 minutes. The surface should be a deep golden colour when ready.
5. Sprinkle sugar over a sheet of greaseproof paper, larger in size than the cake tin.
6. When the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and immediately flip it over onto the sugared paper and remove the tin.
7. From the smaller end, gently roll up the sponge and sugared paper together. Leave to cool completely in this shape.
8. Make the filling. As before, melt the white chocolate and leave to cool.
9. Whisk the double cream until it stiffens but is still loosely creamy. Now mix in the white chocolate, the inner specks from the vanilla pod and some of the pistachios.
10. Unroll the cake and cover the surface with the cream (leave almost 1 inch at the edges as the cream will push outwards as you re-roll it).
11. Scatter the cream with more pistachios (leaving enough for the topping) and most of the raspberries. Feel fee to squash some of the raspberries.
12. Gently roll the cake, using the greaseproof paper to guide you round.
13. Finally cover the roll with the rest of the cream, the pistachios and then some raspberries to garnish.