Red Cabbage with Bacon, Apples & Cranberries
Having spent most of this year in Germany I’ve become to appreciate red cabbage on a whole new level – especially when the festive season kicks in! This is my absolute favourite combination, which incorporates bacon, apples, onions and cranberries.
5 tbsp olive oil
1 red cabbage
4 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp nutmeg
5 tbsp cider vinegar
100 g cranberries
salt & pepper
1. Heat a large frying pan with olive oil.
2. Chop the bacon into very small squares and add to the pan. Cook until it browns.
3. Thinly slice the cabbage, onion and apple. Cover the apple slices with the cinnamon and nutmeg and put aside.
4. Add the onion to the pan and when it slightly softens, add the cabbage and apples. Sauté this for 5mins, stirring occasionally. Add more olive oil if needed.
5. Add the cranberries, water, vinegar, a generous grind of salt & pepper and cover for 60 minutes over a low heat. This dish is better when it gets slightly “mushy” so don’t worry about over-cooking.