Steamed Fragrant Veal Meatballs
Steamed meatballs are easy, delicious and healthy. The veal meatballs in this recipe are steamed in a fragrant bay leaf and spring onion broth, making them full of flavour. Steaming the meatballs from a flavoursome broth makes this recipe healthier, allowing the fat to drain out of the meat.
500g of veal mince (alternatively, you can use beef or pork mince)
A bunch of spring onions
A bunch of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
Chives (finely chopped)
4 bay leaves Breadcrumbs from 1 bread roll (put bread roll through blender)
You’ll need a steamer for this recipe (or you can use a deep pan and a colander!)
1. In a mixing bowl, kneed together the mince, chives, 3/4 of the parsley and the breadcrumbs. Make a hole in the middle of the mix and then add the egg, kneed in thoroughly.
2. Roll the mixture up in your hands into small balls and lay them on a chopping board or plate. Try and get them all the same size.
3. Now boil the pan of water that will sit underneath your steamer. Add the bay leaves and spring onion. This will flavour the steam.
4. Once the water is boiling, add the meatballs to the steamer. Steam for approximately 20 mins. Feel free to move them around a bit every now and then so that they don’t stick to the sides of the steamer.
5. Once cooked, remove from the steamer. Serve with some fresh salad or vegetables.