Strawberry Cupcakes with Clotted Cream Icing
These are probably my favourite cupcakes to date. With their light and fluffy strawberry sponge and indulgent clotted cream icing – they are hit every time. The clotted cream frosting is a real highlight on these cupcakes – it’s delicious!
Makes approximately 20 cupcakes
175g (6 oz) softened butter
175g (6 oz) caster sugar
175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
100g of freshly finely chopped strawberries
For the icing:
250g icing sugar
250g clotted cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170c
2. Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix till light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, along with the vanilla extract and whizz up to make a yellow mix.
4. Next, add the flour and mix until it’s super smooth. The longer you mix the batter, the more air you can get into it which will help to lighten the sponge.
5. Stir in the strawberries so they’re evenly spread in the mix.
6. Bake the cakes for approximately 15 minutes, keeping a close eye on them. To test whether they’re ready, stick a fork or skewer into the sponge – if it comes out clean the cakes are ready! Make sure that they are still a bit sticky on top so that they keep their moisture.
7. Leave on a cooling rack, whilst you prepare the icing.
1. Mix together the clotted cream and the icing sugar, until a smooth creamy icing forms.
2. Add to a piping bag with a thick-ish nozzle. Once the cakes have cooled, squeeze on the clotted cream icing. Decorate with some pieces of fresh strawberry – I like to cut mine into heart shapes!