Strawberry Meringue Cupcakes
These cupcakes are perfect for a party – just looking at them makes you want to celebrate. If the strawberries and meringue still don’t do it, there is always the secret strawberry curd filling in the middle…
For the cakes:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 cup milk
a handful of strawberries
For the strawberry filling:
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
1 pallet strawberries
For the meringue:
3 egg whites
1 beetroot, for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
2. Whisk together butter and sugar, then slowly whisk in the egg.
3. Now whisk in the flour, baking powder, salt, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Slice the strawberries into thin slices and place these firmly around the inside edges of the cupcake liners.
5. Divide the batter between the cupcake liners. They will rise so leave about half a cm between the mixture and the top of the cases.
6. Cook in oven for 15 mins, or until the tops turn slightly golden.
7. Make the strawberry filling. In a pan, completely mix together all the eggs with the sugar.
8. Blend strawberries until smooth, then strain into the pan through a sieve to remove clumps.
9. Now add the butter and whisk the mixture over a medium heat until it thickens. This tends to take no more than 10 minutes. Leave to cool in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
10. Once the cakes are ready, and slightly cooled, cut out small holes in the centre of each one. Make sure you leave the circle in tact as you will want to trim this and place back onto the cupcake once you have filled with the strawberry filling.
11. Fill the cupcakes with the strawberry filling, placing the trimmed circle back on the top.
12. You are now ready to prepare the meringue. Over a medium heat, mix together the egg whites and sugar just until the sugar fully dissolves. Now immediately remove from heat.
Whisk the egg white mixture until it forms stiff peaks.
13. Fill a piping bag with the meringue mixture and circle on to each cake.
14. If decorating with beetroot juice, gently drop the juice onto the meringue.
15. Using a blow torch, slightly cook the meringues until the edges are just set. (if you don’t have one, simple bake the cakes in the oven at 200 degrees for 5mins, or until the tops just slightly set on the edges).