Summer Celebration Cake
Summer Celebration (Baby Shower) Cake: This delicious cake is easy to put together to create a perfect summer showstopper …
340g butter, softened
340g caster sugar, sifted
6 eggs, at room temperature
340g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking power
2-3 tbsp milk
Oil, to grease
300ml double cream, whipped
5 tbsp wild strawberry jam
large punnet strawberries, hulled and halved
* Icing Sugar
* Sugar crystallised edible flowers (Edible flowers can be purchased online – Meadowsweet Flowers create crystallised flowers which are beautifully packaged ready for you to use at home http://www.meadowsweetflowers.co.uk/ As well as looking, they also taste amazing!)
* Miniature bunting (
For miniature bunting, attach small paper images of your choice to thread and tie to two wooden skewers)
* Heat the oven to 180oC. Lightly brush three 20cm sandwich tins with a little oil and base-line each with baking parchment.
* Cream butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy.
* Break eggs into a small bowl and lightly beat with fork, then gradually add to creamed butter and sugar in small amounts, beating well after each addition. (Should the mixture curdle, add 1 tbsp flour to help stabilise.)
* Sift flour and fold it gently into mixture. If necessary, add 2-3 tbsp milk.
* Divide mixture between the prepared tins and smooth tops using a spatula. Bake in middle of oven for about 20 minutes, or until well risen and golden. The cakes should feel spongy and springy when pressed gently.
* Allow cakes to cool for a few minutes in the tins, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool before peeling off the lining paper.
* When cool, sandwich cakes together with a layer of strawberry jam, followed by a layer of strawberries then the whipped cream. Leave the top sponge clear and sprinkle with icing sugar.
* Finally add your crystalised flowers and miniature bunting appropriate for the occasion. Share and enjoy.