Wholewheat Cinnamon Buns with Pear
Cinnamon buns are a classic. I make mine with wholewheat flour; not only is this healthier, I find the dough is a perfect contrast for the sweet filling.
for the dough:
200g unsalted butter
500g wholewheat flour
125ml warm water
1 packet yeast
3 eggs (3 yolks and 1 white)
1 ½ tsp salt
for the filling:
150g brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1. Heat the butter and milk over a low heat and set aside once the butter has completely melted.
2. Mix the flour with the water, yeast, sugar, eggs and salt.
3. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and combine completely.
4. Knead the dough for 10 mins or until you are left with a ball that isn’t sticking to the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if needed.
5. Cover the bowl and leave the dough in a warm place – the nearer to 2 hours the better but will be OK after 30.
6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
7. Roll the dough over a floured surface to about ¼ inch thick and in a rectangle shape.
8. Mix together cinnamon, and sugar and spread evenly over the dough.
9. Slice the pear into small flat pieces and place over the sugar.
10. Roll the dough lengthways, as tightly as possible.
11. Slice the roll.
12. Transfer buns to a greased baking tin, packing them closely together.
13. Transfer to oven and cook for about 30 minutes.